04 May Jahangirnagar University (JU)
Jahangirnagar University (JU) is a university located at Savar Dhaka. It was established on 20 Aug, 1970. Its Chancellor is Abdul Hamid and Vice Chancellor is Farzana Islam .Its EIIN is 136589.
Jahangirnagar University or JU is a public university in Bangladesh, based in Savar Upazila, Dhaka. It is the only completely residential university in Bangladesh.
The university was founded in 1970 by the Jahangirnagar Muslim University Ordinance of the government of Pakistan. At first, it was named Jahangirnagar Muslim University, and the plan was to operate the university like Aligarh Muslim University. But after the freedom of Bangladesh, its name changed to Jahangirnagar University under the Jahangirnagar University Act' 1973. It's first vice-chancellor, Mr. Mafiz Uddin Ahmad (Ph.D. in chemistry, University of Illinois, Chicago) took up office on 24 September 1970.
The first group of students, a total of 150, were enrolled in four departments: Geography, Economics, Mathematics, and Statistics. Its formal opening was delayed until 12 January 1971, when the university was launched by Rear Admiral S. M. Ahsan, the chancellor.
In 2014, the university had 755 teachers, 16,781 students, and 1,430 other employees. On 2 March 2014, Farzana Islam, a professor of the Anthropology Department, was employed the vice-chancellor of JU, marking the country's first woman to hold the position.
Faculties and Departments
The University has 34 departments under 6 faculties. To see faculties and department information click faculty on the left sidebar
- Central Cafeteria
- Halls of residence
- Institute of Business Administration
- Institute of Information Technology
- Institute of Remote Sensing
- Bangabandhu Institute of Comparative Literature and Culture
- Medical Centre
- Wazed Miah Science Research Centre
- Student Counselling and Guidance Centre
- Centre of Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- The Language Centre
- Teacher-Student Centre
Halls of Residence
There are now 15 residential halls at the JU, out of which 8 are boy's halls and 7 are girl's
- UniversityJahangirnagar University (JU) Jahangirnagar University (JU)
- ChancellorAbdul Hamid Abdul Hamid
- Vice ChancellorFarzana Islam Farzana Islam
- Founded20 August, 1970 20 August, 1970
- Named AfterJahangirnagar Muslim University Jahangirnagar Muslim University
- EIIN136589 136589